Friday, November 11, 2011

The Beautiful Big Apple!



This past August my mom and I traveled to NYC to attend the gift/home show at the Javitz center and, of course, see the city! My mom had never been before, so it was extra exciting for me to play tour guide. (Ok, amateur tour guide, who am I kidding?! It was only my second time.)
The weather was a bit muggy but honestly we didn't mind -- we were just so happy to be there.

We stayed on the Upper West Side, just blocks from Central Park, in such a charming area; cafes and shops and tree-lined streets, corner markets where we bought wine and cheese and crackers to take back to our room. On the fifteenth floor was a terrace overlooking the neighborhood -- we'd set up our little picnic and watch the sun fade into the twinkling lights of the city after dark. Pure magic!

I thoroughly enjoyed the gift show for ideas and new products but I felt that I got the best inspiration from the city itself, walking, peering into store windows, happening upon little parks.
A few photos from our trip...


*View of Manhattan skyline from the Staten Island Ferry


* Peering into Gramercy Park, a private gated oasis. Residents are given a key, and the rest of us have to enjoy the beauty from outside!

*Gorgeous stone facade of an apartment building in Gramercy. We wandered by on our way to ABC Carpet & Home, my favorite store in New York.

I'll share more of my NYC discoveries in future posts, and 'til then,
toujours,
laurie

No comments: